Thursday, February 12, 2009

...The Love Bug...blugggh!

Ok...so forgive me ahead of time, as I plan on going on a rampage to let go of some of my feelings. I have come to the conclusion that Valentine's Day could be the most stupid holiday that we as humans have come up with yet. I mean, it has become another day that, starting the day after Christmas, advertises candy, stuffed animals, flowers, and other "romantic stuff" to "Woo" our sweathearts.We go out and spend, perhaps, hundreds of dollars on material things that can only be used while we're here on earth. First of all, if we have a "better half" to celebrate this "love day" with, why can't we do it without spending huge sums of money??..I mean it is so much more romantic if the gift you give comes from the heart, not the pocket book; for me @ least, it would seem like the gift was much more personal if the guy didn't spend a great deal of money. A simple home cooked meal by the fire place, or an original song composed by your sweetie would more than do the trick... now this seems very, very romantic to me...but then again, that's just me.
But If in a relationship shouldn't we show our love and appreciation to our "significant other" every day of the year, and not just one day that is set aside?? Shouldn't we have multiple (yet unofficial) Valentine's Days throughout the year??" Now, like I said, forgive me. I can see exceptions to this holiday, for example, a husband and wife who have multiple children, all under the ages of 10. In this case, yes, I can see where this specific day would be romantic; a chance to get away from the kids for a little while and have a much needed date night. But for high school students, and even college students (who unless are engaged) should we really waste our time and money on this??..Im not so sure.

You know, I've come to college (but it started in high school), and everyone is looking for someone to spend the rest of their lives with. Everyone seems in such a rush to get married, and have their lives planned out. Well, I have a question. What is so wrong with being single??..I've come to the conclusion, that nothing is wrong with this, and in fact there is nothing like it. Don't get me wrong, It would be amazing to have someone special to celebrate this holiday with, and someday I will; but this year I don't, so no big deal. I've seen a lot of people here @ school that think they are in love. Now I have no doubt that some of them truly are. But I also believe that the rest of them are just "in love" with the idea of being "in love." I hope that makes sense.

Why can't we single people just enjoy our time alone. I heard a speaker say @ a convention this past weekend, that God made all of our feelings, including lonliness.. But He made this feeling so that when we would feel that way, we would run to our Father in Heaven. We would read our Bibles, and spend time in prayer with Him. It got me to really thinking. If I don't spend enough time working on my relationship with my Heavenly Father, and making it work, how should I expect an earthly relationship with that special man to work??..You know, I have dreams for my life, and they include my wedding, marriage, and the rest of my future that goes along with it..And if they are according to God's word, I have no doubt, that He will fulfill my hearts desire. But why rush things?
So I have made a decision. I am going to stop wasting my times on guys. I've cut back already, but I need to do so even more. I'm not going to worry about the perfect guy for me. When I've come to the point in my relationship with God where I am 100% sure that He always is my first priority, I believe that God will work things out with my special guy.

So this note started out as a "Valentine's Day Hate Mail"..and gradually turned into a thinking and decision making process. For everyone who has a special someone to share Valentine's Day with. Go ahead, have fun with your night out on the town. My most sincere wishes... As for me, I will be watching Mall Cop, and enjoying popcorn and m&m's with my best friend; remembering that God is the main man in my life and will always be.

2 comments:

Jana H said...

That was beautiful, Aubrey. I totally agree. Although sometimes knowing that God has that special someone out there for you and waiting for so long with no results can be frustrating. Trust me, I'm the waiting Queen. But you made a ton of good points. I love what you said about if our relationship with God isn't what it should be then our relationship with a guy won't be good either.

I've never really let Valentine's Day get me down. I usually get some of my friends a few treats, and Tarah even asked me if I'd be her Valentine, which I of course agreed to. I've had more girl Valentines over the years than I have guys. (Don't take that the wrong way.) My roomie and some friends and me all made t-shirts to wear tomorrow since we're not in class on Valentine's Day. On the front they say "No Valentine? No Problem... (See back for details.)" On the back they say, "I got Jesus. (He was single too.) They're pretty much my favorite.

But yeah, someday that wonderful special guy will come and until he comes we can wait on God, pray for him, and ask God what we can start doing now to develop traits that a godly wife would have. But you're right, being single is amazing. I'm so busy right now anyway that if I had a boyfriend, he'd probably dump me because I wouldn't be able to spend much time with him. Gotta love college. Anyway, I love you and can't wait to see you next weekend. Yay for singles!!!!

Anonymous said...

In this era of web 2.0, we easily get nice & updated information for research purposes... I'd definitely appreciate the work of the said blog owner... Thanks!
................................

essays term papers-Term Paper Sample