Monday, August 6, 2007

Life outside the Country.

This summer I've learned new things about myself. I had the amazing oppurtunity to go to New York City. That is a big change compared to where I come from.

Okay, let me start from where you can understand a little better.

Our Church/Youth Group took 11 people on a Missions trip to Brooklyn, back in June. We went out with Metro Ministries (also known as Yogi Bear) and did Sidewalk Sunday School with kids from all over. There were actually 16 different teams that went out, but my team went to the Bronx, a.k.a "the Projects", both days. I had an incredible time with all the little ones. There were some of the most adorable kids I had ever seen. The missions trip part taught and showed me how much I am blessed.

Anyways, we stayed in Brooklyn for 2.5 days, but after that we had the luxury to go sightseeing and staying in Manhattan for 2.5 days. We had a PHENOMENAL time here. It was so different than were I come from. I mean 3 million people on 1 block compared to 300 people tops who actually live here. It was just amazing. But the thing that makes me wonder, is that I actually could see myself living in a place like that...It's so weird. I love living on the farm, but sometimes I wonder what's outside of it. I can't hardly think about it without crying though. I mean I'm the 8th generation on the land that we own/live. I look at all the hard work my dad, grandad and great-grandad have done, and I feel like I would be letting them down if I go off and leave it. I'm about the only grandkid that even shows interest in running/living on it. But I still can't help but wonder....

This feeling may go away after I get out of college. I may not be able to wait to move back to the farm.

My dad tells me the story of when he was 17 and he couldn't wait to get off the farm and go live in the city. But then I look at him now and see that the farm is what he loves to do. He hates going to his other job in Tulsa and would quite in a heartbeat.

For now, I don't know. But God will take care of everything, this is one thing that I am sure of.

1 comment:

Jana H said...

Aubrey, I know God will show you His will for your life in His timing. I wouldn't blame you if you wanted to get off the farm. You've lived there your whole life. But I wouldn't blame you if you wanted to stay either. It's in your blood.